Wednesday, July 16, 2008

National Postal Service and Private Courier Services: Compared

I had the recent misfortune to be in the using and the receiving end of the NPS i.e. National Postal Service (there is no need to defame them by naming them as they do it well themselves). I only required one private courier service experience to go high and mighty with the NPS.

I mean almost all postal services have websites serving not only as information bases but also most importantly tracking services of your precious courier. While the private companies give you pinpoint details up to which line or port, the NPS has a defunct Track and Trace service.

I mean, for the charge we pay, we do not obviously expect minute details but at least whether it is still on the way or delivered should be good enough?! Is it too much to ask for especially when you reside in universities and residence halls?!

I received my very precious parcel exactly 2 weeks after it was posted and this was no international one (just across the Peninsula). The time delay was not my concern but the whereabouts is most depressing especially when your cargo is expensive and rare.

Today, I called to check on a registered post I sent yesterday evening and the response I got from the sleepy phone customer service person was "You sent yesterday? Then must wait ... 4 days." My post was just across 3 states and obviously by two days if all goes well it would have reached its destination. I mean what is the point after 4 days the customer gets to know of the stats unless (a) you want to waste money or (b) you are just so "confident" in your service (c) All of the above and in short you are plain inefficient.

There goes my ramble and now I sit pondering of the lousy language droning on the automated response when I dialed for their customer service. Choppy, lack of fluency and invoking the feeling of attending a funeral is more like the three best words to describe the monotone.

No comments: